2017 Bike The Coast Bike Ride
1. The 2017 Bike The Coast ride will be held on Saturday November 4, 2017 rain or shine.
2. CHECK IN – You must check in and pick up your bike number and course ID wristband
a. FRIDAY Nov 3 – Bandshell, Oceanside Pier between noon and 7:00pm.
b. SATURDAY Nov 4 – Betty’s Lot on The Strand, south of the Oceanside Pier, between 5:30am and 9:00am.
Please walk/bike only on Seagaze Drive, TURN RIGHT use the Strand to get to Betty’s Lot.
3. You MUST claim your ride number BEFORE THE START TIME OF YOUR WAVE.
Check in times:
– 100 mile ride between 5:30am and 6:45am
– 50 mile ride between 7:00am and 7:45am
– 25 mile ride between 7:00am and 8:45am
– 7 & 15 mile ride between 8:00am and 9:00am
4. WAVE START TIMES
– Faster riders should try to get to the first wave of their distance.
– 100 mile ride waves start at 6:50am (Civil Dawn)
– 50 mile ride waves start at 7:45am
– 25 mile ride at 8:45am
– 7 & 15 mile ride waves start at 9:00 – 9:15am with Celebrity Lead Riders
5. Walk-Up Registrations: online registration closes at 11:59pm on Monday prior to Nov 4. If spots are still available, unregistered riders will be able to register at the Band Shell on
6. Friday Nov 3 between noon-7pm, or at Betty’s Lot on Saturday Nov 4 from 5:30am-9am.
- First-come, first-served.
7. Waivers: all riders MUST sign a waiver at check-in before receiving a number.
8. Packet Pickup for Friends and Family: please present the information below to claim a packet for a friend or family member:
- Copy of the registrant’s Driver’s License
- Waiver, signed by the registrant
- Download the waiver: Bike the Coast event Waiver
9. Wristband: you will receive a colored wristband when you check in. The wristband will get you into the aid stations on the course for which you have registered.
10. Bike Number: please attach your bike number (self-adhesive strip on back) to the top tube of your bike. The telephone number for dispatch is printed on the name sticker on your number.
11. Route/Cue Sheet: courses are marked with signs at all turns and major intersections. Download the route to your GPS or print a copy of the route sheet for your route and bring it with you on the ride. http://bikethecoast.eventmediainc.com/course-maps/
12. SAG Stops: SAG stops are every 12-13 miles. They are located at Moonlight Beach in Encinitas and Performance Bikes in Sorrento Valley. There is SAG at Seagaze and The Strand at 50 miles for the 100-mile route only, which includes a lunch, at the start of the second loop.
13. Pre-purchased Clothing: pick up your order at the Merchandise Booth from 12-7pm on Friday or Saturday from 6am-4pm.
14. T-Shirts, Jerseys, and Hats: Bike the Coast clothing and merchandise will be available for purchase on Friday & Saturday at the Expo.
15. Finisher’s Award: all riders will receive a Finishers Gift. Awards, and Lunch Food Coupons will be available at the Food Coupons tent in the Expo after the ride.
16. Taste the Coast Food Coupons: all registered riders who participate in the event will receive $5 coupons for food from “Taste the Coast” food vendors. Please bring additional money for food, and for the Beer Garden
17. Finish Party and Expo: join us! Everyone is invited; this event is open to the public.
18. Bike Valet Parking: – Free & safe bike parking just past the finish line. Leave your bike, take a bracelet, and enjoy the expo!
- TIPPING FOR THE OCEANSIDE BIKE COMMITTEE RECOMMENDED
- DO NOT LEAVE EASILY-REMOVABLE ELECTRONICS (GPS, ETC.) ON BIKE HANDLEBARS
19. Beer Garden: everyone 21 years and older with a valid photo ID will be admitted to the Beer Garden.The Beer Garden benefits the San Diego County Bicycle Coalition
20. Start and Finish: under the Pier on the Strand (Oceanside Pier, CA 92054)
21. Parking: exit I-5 at Mission Ave, and head west. There will be free and all-day paid parking. Do not park in 4-hour lots or red zones. http://bikethecoast.eventmediainc.com/parking/ (updated 1 week prior to event)
22. Closing Time: the course and Taste the Coast Expo are closed at 5:00pm
23. Support: there are on-course mechanical & SAG aid as well as SAG/aid stations.
- For serious emergencies during the ride, call 911
- For mechanical breakdowns, if race vehicle has not stopped for you, call the event dispatcher (download here). This is an answering service and we will attend to your needs as quickly as possible.
24. Back-up Plan: please arrange with family/friends to be picked up if you can’t finish the ride. The ride shuttle is slow and can take a while before it reaches any given SAG stop.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AND FOLLOW
- Follow traffic laws: please do not be ticketed as Police and Sheriffs patrol this route.
- This is a bike ride, not a race, and is held on OPEN ROADS with motor vehicles.
- All riders must follow the rules of the road, as defined in the California Vehicle Code
- Stop at ALL stop signs and lights, and ride within the bike lanes unless passing
- Riders agree to wear approved helmets while riding the bike in this event.
- All riders MUST have a bike number and wristband on the course for safety and access to SAG.
- We strongly suggest you bring at least TWO water bottles FULL of water/fluid as well as a cell phone. In consideration of your safety, do not wear earpieces in both ears during the ride.
- Participants must follow all instructions of law enforcement and/or fire officials
- Public safety vehicles have the right-of-way at all times!
- Ride Marshalls will be on bicycles on the course. They will be wearing vests
- They are cyclists like you, and are present to encourage safe and legal riding and to increase your safety
- Please follow their advice, if offered
- Use the toilets provided at the SAG Stops only, please!
- All riders must ride on the right-hand side of the road, not ride across the centerline, and should ride single file
- If a rider is unable to continue, he/she should move to a safe place off the road and signal a race vehicle for assistance, or call the dispatcher number provided on the PDF, or on handouts on event day.
- PLEASE RIDE SAFELY AND BE CONSIDERATE OF OTHERS. HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY ON THE BIKE!